Monday, February 20, 2012

Politics to an 18 year old.

I honestly don't really have a political ideology. I just know so little- whoever can put their point the most eloquently is probably who I'll side with. For example, I've listened to my father speak on gun ownership rights my whole life, and I thought whole heartedly that I agreed with him- until a gun related tragedy happened to a student at my school, and listening to my peers speak their own opinions completely shifted mine. With that changeable of an opinion, it's odd thinking that I'm going to be voting for the first time in my life, in such a large scale election, so soon. I'm happy that I get to vote for our nation's president right after turning 18, but with that comes a lot of responsibility. Other than that, the only things I've ever voted for are offices which usually one person is running- like student counsel treasurer or something. I don't even know who's running for office. I keep hearing all of these things about how important this election is to my future, seeing as how I'm just about to go to college and start my adult life. So it makes me uneasy knowing that there are thousands of brand new 18 year olds who are just as clueless as I am, but still eager to vote. And on top of that, there are millions of Americans who are politically unaware, to the point that they don't even know their own ignorance. At least I know how little I know. So I'm really hoping to use this class to prepare myself to vote responsibly, and to take part in a decision that will so heavily shape my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment