Thursday, March 22, 2012

Karl Rove Group Sees Obama's Personal Dynamism As Key Challenge In 2012 Election



With the presidential race rapidly approaching, I like to take advantage of any opportunity to further my understanding of the candidates. So when I caught sight of a piece dealing with Obama’s sparkling personality, which I must admit is his main lure for me, I thought it smart to check it out. After all, a dynamic personality can only go so far in a world of politics, and I’d like to vote on more than a smiling face. I am thankful I did choose to read it- Jon Ward’s “Karl Rove Group Sees Obama's Personal Dynamism As Key Challenge In 2012 Election” was extremely fair, insightful, and informative. Through it I took away a just view on the republican’s take on how President Obama’s sparkling personality will fair in the upcoming election, as well as the democratic reproach on assumptions that their candidate is little more than a handsome character, and with this information I am free to draw my own conclusions.

As a political piece one doubtfully brings in one’s own bias, but I regard this piece as overwhelmingly reasonable if not impartial. He seems, in my opinion, to be purely giving the information on a given situation. Ward relates almost all of his information through quotes from knowledgeable sources- a majority of which come from Steven Law, president and CEO of American Crossroads and Crossroads GPS, who look at Obama’s magnetism as "..the vestige of the kind of unique character that he has and came in with as president. However.. it's a weak floor." He provides several of Law’s rational arguments, all in quote form, with little commentary to bias his reader. Ward even goes so far as to include the opinion of dissenters who feel that Law is not correct in his appraisal of Obama’s character and ability to lead the nation, citing Ben LaBolt, the “national spokesman for Obama's reelection campaign,” who argues that it will be "between a President who has fought every day to create jobs and restore economic security for the middle class, and a Republican nominee that would return to the same policies that led to the economic crisis and stretched the middle class." Including such strong arguments from someone so entrenched in the Obama campaign shows Ward’s dedication to a fair argument. He also ensures that he provides examples for his assertions. Rather than simply leaving the assertion that “Other Republicans have expressed concern in recent days about Romney's messaging,” he validates it by including examples of the candidate’s message, like how “a majority of paid TV advertising by Romney's campaign (have) been negative attack ads taking down his Republican rivals.” Ward is careful to explain the credibility of his sources and provide background information for his assertions, which makes him a very credible author and helps ensure that his information is wholly accepted by his intended audience- namely, the voters in the upcoming elections who wish, like myself, to know more about the Democratic candidate.

1 comment:

  1. When I read the first couple of lines on your editorial blog over Karl Rove Group Sees Obama's Personal Dynamism As Key Challenge In 2012 Election, I thought “oh great, another Obama supporter!” and I had a prejudice against what I thought would be in your editorial. But I was pleasantly surprised. You did say that a big key factor to your liking Obama is his “sparkling personality”, which I disagree with entirely because he freaks me out and I can barely stand to look at him! But I was surprised when you agreed that a candidates smile and personality is not enough to determine if he should be the president and that you wanted to learn more about Obama’s platform. I like to see that there are people out there who want to learn more about the people they are voting for and do not just base their decision off of looks. Candidates used to be chosen from their policies and platform and who would be the best candidate for our nation, but ever since Kennedy it seems that looks and personality play a bigger role and platform and policy has taken a back road. I believe that a voter needs to trust who they vote for and so, in that way, personality does play a key role, but I think that the candidate’s policies should definitely be the most important factor in voting. That is why I was pleasantly surprised with your editorial, even if we do have different opinions about Obama’s physical qualities. At least we are both trying to dig deeper and find out all that we can about the candidates so that we can make the best decision in this coming up election.

    ReplyDelete